Everytime I used to postpone my work of desiginig the cover picture for the Scrollback Facebook page. Tough this is my exam time, I was able to design a overview of the picture in a very quick time. I still need to hack this. 🙂
This was the first meet up conducted by the Scrollback Campus Ambassadors(SCAs) for all the Scrollbackers @BANGALORE region. It was a bit challenging task for us, since we were organizing it for the first time.
Myself and other few SCAs (Amrutha, Sam, Tushara) took the initiative to organise this meet-up. We planned to have this meet-up at the end of the November, most probably on 29th or 30th so that our lab externals would have got over and many of SCAs and Buddies could come up. We just had 2 days in hand to organise this meet up. We had a discussion regarding the date, time and venue which has to be convenient to all. We decided to have it on 29th November @Collab House. I created an etherpad for it, so that we all can update on it simultaneously. Amrutha, Sam, Tushara helped me by contacting all other SCAs and making them fill the etherpad . It was duty of SCAs to make sure even their buddies have also filled it. I created a poster for the event and shared with SCAs and buddies through our Facebook group and E-mail.
After seeing the response on etherpad I had a mixed emotions. Most of them had filled it, but they said they can’t attend this meet-up. 😦
Only few number Scrollbackers had confirmed that they would be coming. But we still din’t give up. We had a hope that they would turn up. 🙂
Though I was not much familiar with the exact location of collab house, I was able to reach their on time. (Thanks to Google maps) By 11.15 few other SCAs also arrived the collab house. There were 6 of us and we were waiting for Priyanka and Gaurav. Until they come we were chatting and taking few pictures. 😛
Priyanka and Gaurav also arrived, we all sat together and continued chatting *NOTHING RELATED TO SCROLLBACK*. Gaurav was sharing few of his experience of his student life at IIT. All of his experience which he shared with us was really funny :D:D:D . We all were laughing out loudly 😀 . This guys is really awesome. Being an IITian he had lot of masti than others. We had lot of fun with him. 😀 😀 😀
After sometime, we started our discussion regarding the scrollback. We had lot of agendas for the day. We took each one of it and started to discuss. Agendas were about the planning for the upcoming Scrollback events, may be to have an offline or online event, may be to have a technical or non-technical event, etc. We discussed about how to improve the growth of Scrollback community. We also discussed about the structure of elevator program. Process of selecting the new buddies and the process of taking the buddies a level up as ambassadors and also for ambassadors taking them one level up as a Scrollback Leader/Mentor for the region.
May be by 2.30 p.m all our discussion came to an end.
Finally we all got the new T-shirt of Scrollback from Priyanka. ( I was waiting for this T-shirt since 3 months) 😛
The T-shirt was also super cool like us. Nice design and Nice quality. 🙂
We left the collab house, had a coffee in a nearby restaurant (We can call this as ScrollCoffee meet up too.) and we all left. 🙂
We had a successful meet-up.
A picture can replace a million words. 🙂
This is my first blog post with full of pictures.
Still lot more to come. 🙂
Keep calm and keep waiting. 😉
Scrollback (Open Source) is our communication partner for our big event “Software Freedom Day” which we will be celebrating on 20th of September. They will be sending us some cool T-shirts, Badges, Stickers and other goodies. 🙂
We would love to promote this Open source text chat service in our campus. 🙂
We also have our Scrollback chat room: glugdsce
(integrated with IRC channel: #glugdsce).
We are preparing well to Rock the Software Freedom Day. 😉
After reading this blog post, you will definately understand what made me to give the title as “Scrollback is Awesome”.
Why did I give the title as Scrollback is Awesome?
1. Scrollback is an open source text chat service. I being a FOSS enthusiast, I would love to contribute to this project. So, anyone from any part of the world can also contribute to this project.
2. As per my knowledge it is not an easy decision for anyone to put out their company’s source code in public. Hats off to the founders of Scrollback (Arvind Ravi Sulekha & Gaurav Srivastava). These two really have a braveheart.
3. The user interface of Scrollback chat rooms are amazing. You won’t feel bored at all. 🙂 . But I’m waiting to see few smileys out there. If not they, I’ll only try to add some simleys since the source code is available. 😀
4. It is user-friendly. You need not sign-up nor sing-in. Usually other social network like Facebook, Twitter etc. asks you to sing-up. But in Scrollback. You need not to do it. Just jump in to chat room and start chating. This helps in maximum participation in the chat rooms.
5. Once you enter the chat room, you will be automatically assigned a funny nick name. :D. You can also change you nickname by singing-in through Persona or Facebook.
6. Scrollback allows you to create your own chat rooms and have fun in your community. 🙂 And it is free. (free as in both freedom and cost) 😉
7. You can integrate the IRC channel with Scrollback. Before we used to have our online meets @ IRC, but from past 1 month (time at which we were introduced to Scrollback) we are you using Scrollback chat room which has been integrated with our IRC channel. So all those who are fed up of using IRC, you must use Scrollback from now onwards.
8. You can even integrate with twitter hashtags. It will bring those tweets instantly into your room.
9. Scrollback chat rooms can also be embedded in your websites. Once you create your own chat room, in configure settings you will get the HTML/CSS source code for your chat room. You can just copy and paste it in your HTML file. A small chat box will be created in your webpage which will be linking to your chat room. By creating a local host I tried this in my webpage and it really works awesome. If you are a web developer you must try this. 🙂
10. Suppose you had an online meet in an IRC channel and due to some reason you arrived to the meet a bit late. You will be not knowing what all had been discussed before you come. If you had integrated that IRC channel to a Scrollback chat room, all the things which were discussed before would have been stored there. You can just Scrollback and go through it.
11. If you observe properly the logo of our Scrollback is similar to an elevator. 😀 😀 😀
sounds funny, but it’s true. It will similar to the elevator.
12. Scrollback has a program for Scrollback Campus Ambassadors named as “Elevator program”. Even this program is similar to an elevator. 😀
I hope by now you would have understood “What made me to give the title – Scrollback is Awesome?”